What can I do as someone who works in Bedfordshire
Communities defeat terrorism. We need the help and support of individuals, businesses and communities across Bedfordshire to remain alert and maintain the safety and security of those places in which we live, work and socialise. If you see or hear something unusual or suspicious trust your instincts and ACT by reporting it in confidence. Any piece of information could be important, it is better to be safe and report. You can help the police prevent terrorism and save lives.
Crowded places, events, public transport, and iconic locations are some examples of locations that could be potential targets for terrorists. All of these are to be found in Bedfordshire.
You are familiar with your workplace and surrounding area, so you’re ideally placed to spot when something is amiss. In this period of heightened alert, it is vital to remain vigilant, trust your instincts and report possible terrorist activity to the police. Action Counters Terrorism.
Look for anything that seems out of the ordinary, such as:
- People in stationary vehicles watching a building or structure
- Vehicles moving slowly near public buildings, structures or bridges, or parked in suspicious circumstances
- People using recording equipment, including camera phones, or seen making notes or sketches of security details
- Someone suspicious paying close attention to specific entry and exit points, stairwells, hallways or fire escapes
- People loitering at or near premises for long periods and watching staff, visitors and deliveries for no apparent reason
- People asking detailed or unusual questions about buildings and business operations, facilities (such as room layouts), security or parking for no apparent reason
- Challenge those in offices and ‘off limits’ areas, plant rooms and similar – report matters immediately to your security manager or dial 999
If you’ve witnessed any of the above, trust your instincts and report it, in confidence, using our online tool or call the Anti-Terrorist Hotline on 0800 789 321. Our specially trained officers will take it from there.
Where can I find security advice for my business or organisation?
Specialist officers carry out regular security briefings for the business community.
Counter Terrorism Security Advisers can identify and assess critical sites in your community that may be vulnerable to terrorist or extremist attack. They then devise and develop appropriate protective security plans to minimise impact on that site and the surrounding community.
For further information visit ACT (Action Counters Terrorism website or the Counter Terrorism website