Skip to content
Our new website

We are in the process of building a new website which will be live in 2022. View the services currently available.

Quick exit

Separated from your partner?


As you're setting up your life free from abuse, remember it is important to continue to safety plan. Staying in the local area can mean the risk of continued abuse from your estranged partners. 

Consider the following:

  • seek expert legal advice on child contact and residence applications, and about options for civil orders
  • change telephone numbers to ex-directory, screen calls and pre-programme emergency numbers into the telephone
  • change all online passwords, especially for social networking accounts, and check privacy settings on social media sites
  • take your satnav with you and wipe the history of any you are leaving behind
  • change the locks and install a security system, smoke alarms and an outside lighting system
  • notify neighbours, employers and schools about any injunction, and ask them to call the police immediately if they see your partner nearby
  • make sure that schools and those who care for your children know who has authorisation to collect them
  • employ safety measures before, during and after contact visits with children consider changing children’s schools, work patterns – hours and route taken – and the route taken to transport the children to school
  • avoid banks, shops, and other places frequented when living with your partner
  • make up a code word for family, colleagues, teachers or friends, so that they know when to call the police for help
  • keep copies of all relevant paperwork, including civil injunctions
  • make sure all meeting are in a public place, avoid allowing your estranged partner to the house
  • if we are already involved call our Emerald Team on 101 and update us with the current situation. This will allow us to do a more comprehensive risk assessment and an escalated the safety measures if needed
  • make written records of any further incidents, keeping a diary of events 

Where can I turn for support?

These agencies may be able to provide you with additional support, advice and information after leaving an abusive relationship. 

247 Confidential national freephone helpline supported by Refuge and Women’s Aid. 

Providing free, fast and effective legal support to survivors of domestic abuse  

  • Freedom Programme

Helps women experiencing or who have experienced domestic abuse to make sense of what has happened 

Bedford 01234316801

Central 03003004360

Luton 01582 457114 

Help and support to women affected by drug/alcohol, domestic abuse, mental health and social care issues.

Provides guidance and information to anybody affected by harassment or stalking

You can also email for advice

Our website uses cookies to improve your experience.