This represents an enormous loss. Each person killed will be someone's parent, partner, child, or a favourite relative, best friend or soul-mate.
The need to provide effective, personal support to those affected by death, or life changing injuries, resulting from road collisions, is a significant issue. Who can provide that essential personal support? Key players in the formal processes that handle collisions, such as police, the Coroner, lawyers and the courts, have their roles to play but none involve emotional or practical help for victims.
Road Victims Trust seeks to fill the gap by providing support for the bereaved, and people otherwise affected by death, or life changing injuries, who are resident in Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire.
The Trust, founded in 1995 in Bedfordshire is a non-profit making charitable organisation and all the services it provides are free. There is no statutory funding of the organisation and all costs are raised by grants, donations and fundraising events.
The Trust offers:
Regular, weekly emotional and practical support for individuals and families in their homes or at our office, for as long as it is useful
- Space to express the whole range of feelings that come with the loss and horror following a fatal road collision
- Space to discuss the repercussions of the collision that is a life changing event for all those involved
- Information on the investigation, inquest and court hearings and preparation and support for inquests and hearings
- Access to a list of suitably qualified lawyers who will provide a free initial consultation.
Why we make this offer: Because for victims we understand that this is a difficult and potentially confusing time
- there is so much going on it's hard to take it all in
- the rollercoaster range of emotions that may be felt
- there are many practical tasks that have to be carried out
- that dealing with police and court procedures and officials can be puzzling and upsetting.
In September 2003 the Road Victims Trust became a local, independent, charitable trust with formal Service Level Agreements and Protocols with the Bedfordshire Police and Coroner ensuring all victims of fatal road collisions are referred to the Trust.
Visit the Roads Victim's Trust website