Please take note of the tips below and read the advice given in the 'Horse sense' guide, produced by THINK! and the British Horse Society.
Advice for motorists
- Look out for horses being led or ridden on the road - slow down.
- At left-hand bends and on narrow country roads, take extra care and keep your speed down.
- When behind a horse rider, give them plenty of room and be ready to stop.
- Do not sound your horn or rev your engine - horses are powerful but vulnerable animals, easily scared by noise and may panic around fast moving vehicles.
Advice for horse riders
- Make sure that you are well visible by wearing fluorescent or reflective clothing.
- Give a motorist an extra three seconds to see you.
- Remember: Be seen - be safe.
Visit the British Horse Society (BHS) website for safety guidelines
Advice for landowners
- Loose horses can cause major accidents.
- Keep your fields and fences properly maintained.
- Keep your gates locked.