Please take note of the tips below and read the advice given in the 'Horse sense' guide, produced by THINK! and the British Horse Society.
View the horse sense guide.
Advice for motorists
- You don't know what could be around the next corner.
- Horses are powerful animals and are easily scared. They can panic around fast-moving cars.
- Please slow down, give them plenty of room and be patient.
Advice for horse riders
- Make sure that you are well visible by wearing fluorescent or reflective clothing.
- Give a motorist an extra three seconds to see you.
- Remember: Be seen - be safe.
Visit the British Horse Society (BHS) website for safety guidelines
Advice for landowners
- Loose horses can cause major accidents.
- Keep your fields and fences properly maintained.
- Keep your gates locked.