Skip to content
Contacting us

Due to unprecedented demand and unforeseen staffing issues, people calling 101 are experiencing longer waiting times than normal. Please report non-emergencies to us via our webchat and online reporting tool, but always call 999 in an emergency.

Quick exit

COVID-19 questions & answers

Updated: 5 January

As of Tuesday 5 January, the government has moved to country into a national lockdown and you must stay at home.

You must stay at home. You should follow this guidance immediately. The law will be updated to reflect these new rules.

Leaving home

You must not leave, or be outside of your home except where necessary. You may leave the home to:

  • shop for basic necessities, for you or a vulnerable person
  • go to work, or provide voluntary or charitable services, if you cannot reasonably do so from home
  • exercise with your household (or support bubble) or one other person, this should be limited to once per day, and you should not travel outside your local area.
  • meet your support bubble or childcare bubble where necessary, but only if you are legally permitted to form one
  • seek medical assistance or avoid injury, illness or risk of harm (including domestic abuse)
  • attend education or childcare - for those eligible

Colleges, primary and secondary schools will remain open only for vulnerable children and the children of critical workers. All other children will learn remotely until February half term. Early Years settings remain open.

Higher Education provision will remain online until mid February for all except future critical worker courses.

If you do leave home for a permitted reason, you should always stay local in the village, town, or part of the city where you live. You may leave your local area for a legally permitted reason, such as for work.

If you are clinically extremely vulnerable you should only go out for medical appointments, exercise or if it is essential. You should not attend work.

Meeting others

  • You cannot leave your home to meet socially with anyone you do not live with or are not in a support bubble with (if you are legally permitted to form one).
  • You may exercise on your own, with one other person, or with your household or support bubble.
  • You should not meet other people you do not live with, or have formed a support bubble with, unless for a permitted reason.
  • Stay two metres apart from anyone not in your household

Find out more about what you can and can not do on the government website.


How will the new rules be enforced?

We will be able to enforce these legal limits, and if you break them you could face a fine (fixed penalty notice).

How can I report a breach of the new regulations?

If you need to report a breach of the new regulations, please do so via our online reporting tool, so we can keep our phone lines available for emergencies.

How do I raise a concern if I see someone in a shop or supermarket not wearing a face covering?

We are asking people to not call police to report people not wearing face coverings in shops and supermarkets – but to raise concerns with staff or store security in the first instance who will seek to encourage people to follow the guidance.

We will only send officers when requested to directly by the store management in situations which require police intervention. This is to ensure our officers remain available to respond to reports of crime where there is a threat of harm. 

If I am due an appointment with a police officer will someone still come to my house?

No. All appointments will be done via the GoodSAM app or telephone. 

If I am due to visit an officer at a police station should I still go?

 No. All appointments will be done via the GoodSAM app or telephone. 

Do I still need to report to a police station under my bail conditions?  

Yes, but please be mindful to keep to the two-metre social distancing government guidelines and all our station enquiry offices have reinforced screens for protection. Please also wear a face covering if you can.

 If I have CCTV I need to pass on as part of an investigation should I bring it to a police station on a memory stick?

No, please email it into us. The investigating officer will give you an email address to forward it to. 

Can I still access victim support services?

Our Signpost Hub is continuing to run, 8am until 8pm Monday to Friday, and 9am until 5pm on Saturdays, which offers free and confidential emotional and practical support to all victims of crime.

The best way of getting in contact is to email or call the free phone number 0800 0282 887, where voicemails can be picked up. Victim Care Co-ordinators can also advise on which other specialist support agencies are available. 

Are courts now operating?

Yes, HMCTS has introduced social distancing measures and extra cleaning in courts and tribunals to protect both member of pubic and staff. 

Further information

You can visit the government website for further information.

You can also keep up to date with our latest news and information by following us on Facebook, Twitteror signing up to BedsAlert to receive information direct to your email. 

Our website uses cookies to improve your experience.