Skip to content
Our new website

We are in the process of building a new website which will be live in 2022. View the services currently available.

Quick exit

Licence types

Alcohol licensing, regulated entertainment and late night refreshment are governed by the Licensing Act 2003 (opens in new window).

Any business, organisation or individual wanting to supply or sell alcohol in Bedfordshire must hold a premises licence or have the appropriate authorisation from a licensing authority, such as their local council.

Types of alcohol licences

There are different types of alcohol licences, depending on what you intend to do;

  • Premises licence – is required for a business or organisation that intends to sell alcohol
  • Personal licence – is required of a designated premises supervisor (opens in new window) at a premises where alcohol is sold. This person must hold a personal licence and must also authorise the sale of alcohol by non-licence holders
  • Club Premises Certificate – is required if an organisation plans to supply alcohol at a qualifying members club. Qualifying clubs (opens in new window) include members clubs such as rugby clubs or working men’s clubs
  • Temporary Event Notice – is required if you will be carrying out a licensable activity, such as selling or supplying alcohol at an unlicensed premises. You may also temporarily vary an existing licence, if you have one.

GOV.UK have a licence finder tool which helps you select the correct licence to match your needs (opens in new window).

Apply for an alcohol licence

To apply for any type of related alcohol licence, you should contact your local council.

A chargeable fee applies when applying for a new licence or to change an existing licence, which you will need to pay to your local council. You may also need to advertise in a local newspaper for a new licence application, however you will be told if this is required to support your application.

If you don't know which local council represents the area you require the licence for, please visit GOV.UK and enter the postcode of the area the licence is for (opens in new window)

Our website uses cookies to improve your experience.