Skip to content
Our new website

We are in the process of building a new website which will be live in 2022. View the services currently available.

Quick exit
REPORT CRIME ONLINEEMERGENCY CALL 999
REPORT CRIME ONLINEEMERGENCY CALL 999

Community Stop Search Scrutiny Panel - Minutes May 2021

Date: Thursday 27 May 2021

Time: 6pm to 9.15pm

Venue: Microsoft Teams

Chair Montell Neufville (MN) Vice Chair, Hina Shafi (HS) Francesca Keen (FK) Doreen Chindezwa (DC) Julia Popielarek (JP) Julien (J) Elaine Keen (EK) Lorraine Parkinson (LP) Phil Dickson-Earle (PDE) Shaidah Ali (S) David Baptiste (DB) Carl Belle (CB) Hamnah Baig (HB) Marcella Taylor-Smith (MTS) Theresa Hatchett (TH

Also In attendance:
PCC Office: PCC Festus Akinbusoya (PCC) CE. Clare Kelly (CK) Zoe-Jade Fraser, (ZF)

Beds Police: A/Sgt Vic Sanghera (VS) Chief Staff Officer. Chief Insp. Rachael Glendenning (RG) PC Ommer Khan (OK) Staff Officer to DCC, Sophia Bartlett (SB)

Welcome, introductions & apologies

The Chair, MontellNeufville (MN) welcomed everyone and introduced himself to new members and apologies were given. 

The panel then introduced themselves. 

The Police members who came to observe the Stop and Search panel then introduced themselves. 

PCC’s office then introduced themselves. 

The new PCC, Festus Akinbusoye then introduced himself and explained to the panel what his role is.

Confidentiality

MN explained the importance of confidentiality. 

MN mentioned that everyone on the call has signed the confidentiality agreement so we can begin. 

Minutes of last meeting, matters arising and action points  

MN went through the minutes and the actions from the last meeting one by one. 

MN explained the new Vice Chairs will be publicised by the Force on the police website and MN will do it in newspapers. 

KS confirmed that feedback was given to the officers from the videos at the last meeting. The one which was sent off to PSD has also been fed back as well.

Completed actions from last meeting:

Action One

MN to speak to Ch Insp Hob HOQUE for another round of training for the Use of Force sub group and new members.

Update

New force lead (Nick Skipworth) – this conversation has begun. 

Action Two

CK will formally take this point concerning data quality back to the Force Strategic Board for them to provide reassurance on getting this correct – has been taken to the board, however, added to future agenda for more discussions to be had.

Update

This has now been taken to board and they now are developing a sharing agreement to post monthly on the OPCC Website. 

Minutes were agreed and signed off for last meeting. 

Feedback and updates from the Force Lead

MN explained that BWV was only getting kept on the system for 28 days. RG put a proposal into the Data Protection team to hold the data for a four month period. After a discussion, they have agreed to hold the footage for a three month period now (90 days). 

RG explains that all frontline officers are now getting a days training in relation to Stop and Search. 

MN explained that the Force will be making a video of the panel which will go out in the wider community so that members of the public are made aware of the panel. 

MN told the panel about Training which will be held on 22 June at Youthscape in Luton. It will be specifically around a package of training which the MET police officers use, using Virtual Reality. MN will be sending all Panel Members more information via email. 

Report back from BWV Sub group - outcomes 

KS spoke through the outcomes from the BWV Sub Group.

 The sub panel have viewed 12 Stop and Search videos in total since last Stop and Search panel meeting (8 of which were graded). 

Video grades from panel:

1 – Green

7 (A4 x4) (A5 x2) (A6 x1) – Amber

0 – Red and referred to PSD 

The majority of the issues with the Amber videos were due to not completing GOWISELY and not having grounds. Both VS and MN have implemented stronger training on having solid grounds for officers to stop and search someone, to all Bedfordshire frontline officers . 

VS explained that they have received four public complaints over Stop and Search. PSD asked VS to gather the opinions of the panel before making a decision. These were examined by the panel and passed back to PSD. The final outcomes are to be determined. 

VS explained the internal scrutiny they are doing amongst their own officers. Every sergeant is dip sampling their officers and this is being checked by an internal scrutiny group of senior officers. 

CK explained that the OPCC hadn’t seen sight of the 4 complaints and wanted to clarify if MN has had sight of them also. VS explained PSD contacted him directly, therefore he wasn’t aware the OPCC hadn’t been informed. VS to chase. 

Action

VS to check with PSD that they are sending all complaints for Stop and Search through the OPCC office as well. MN will also add a question to ask if everyone which is refered to the panel has been logged by the call centre. 

Report back from Use of Force Sub Group 

KS explained the UOF group has viewed four videos in total. Four of which were since the last Stop and Search panel meeting.  

3 – Green

1 – Amber 

The Amber has not been fed back yet.

HS explains the Traffic Light system before panel watched the videos. 

BW Video 1 

KS played video 1

KS read the report from the officer first.

Feedback to be provided to the officer

  • Good level of engagement between the person and the officers.
  • The officers had good manors. Good deminer.
  • No handcuffs were used which was a good thing.
  • There was a debate regarding  ‘reasonable grounds’ to search him after the detainee disclosed he wasn’t sure if he had something on him.
  • The detainee was compliant.
  • The officer stated the majority of GO WISELY but not all. He did not state what specific item he was looking for (object). As this was not made clear the stop search could not be green 

= RESULT – AMBER 4

BW Video 2

KS played video 2

KS read the report from the officer first.

Feedback to be provided to the officer

  • Officers were respectful and polite.
  • Intelligence was received for the stop.
  • Handcuffs were used too quickly without explaining the necessity.
  • Reasonable grounds were met.
  • GO WISELY was used. 

= RESULT – GREEN 3 (Feedback – Were handcuffs necessary, the necessity of these was not explained

BW Video 3 

KS played video 3

KS read the report from the officer first. There were two officers involved. A male officer who detained the member of the public and the female officer who conducted the stop search.

Feedback to be provided to the officers

  • Detainee had clear mental health issues.
  • All officers kept the detainee engaged.
  • Reasonable grounds existed. Detainee was suspected of having a weapon.  detainee threatened  to punch a security guard.
  • Handcuffs were necessary due to suspicion of possessing ‘bladed weapon’.
  • Female officer who did the search used GO WISELY.
  • Female officer took 7 – 8 minutes to arrive.
  • The Panel would like to commend the male officer who detained the member of the public for the way he detained the member of the public whilst he waited for a female officer to arrive. His conduct was exactly how the panel wants stop & searches to be conducted.

= RESULT – GREEN 1 with emphasis that it was also the male detaining officers decision making

Stop and Search Data 

MN goes through the Stop and Search Data (slides attached) and explained what they mean. 

MN explains when and why a ‘deep dive’ occurs. 

MN explained that the figures on ‘Officer Data – Summary’ were concerning due to the officers being intelligence led so they should have better outcomes. 

MN has spoke to DCC about the disproportionality figures. 2% of officers are not using their powers ‘fairly’. DCC will be looking into this. 

VS explains the Khat or Cannabis Warning.

RG did research into the Officer Defined Ethnicity against arrest rates.

RG has also requested the top 40 officers of Stop and Search and will have data for the next meeting.

PSD Complaints and Feedback from REDs 

MN spoke about what VS had previously mentioned: 

‘VS explained that they have received 4 public complaints over Stop and Search. PSD asked VS to gather the opinions of the panel before making a decision. The outcomes are still to be determined. 

VS explained the internal scrutiny they are doing amongst their own officers. 

CK explained that the OPCC hadn’t seen sight of the 4 complaints and wanted to clarify if MN has had sight of them also. VS explained PSD contacted him directly, therefore he wasn’t aware 

the OPCC hadn’t been informed. VS to chase.’ 

Ride along scheme 

MN said he will cover the ride along scheme and inform panel members that they can take part once everything is up and running after covid.

This will be open to everyone on the panel. 

Any Stop & Search issues in the Community 

N/A

AOB 

MN explained that BWV was only getting kept on the system for 28 days. RG put a proposal into the Data Protection team to hold the data for a four month period. After a discussion, they have agreed to hold the footage for a three month period now (90 days).

Meeting closed: 

MN thanked the panel for their view points and comments and for their attendance.

CK thanked the panel for attending. 

Meeting closed 9:15pm 

Date of next meeting August 2021 - 6pm to 8.30 pm

Our website uses cookies to improve your experience.

OK