A genuine caller won’t mind coming back at a time when it is more convenient for you and for when you can arrange to have somebody you trust with you for the appointment.
Do not be fooled by uniforms, name badges or identification badges.
The most common trick is the caller claiming they are from the 'water board' to check your water meter. Water boards no longer exist.
If the person at your door claims to be from a utilities related service, you can check their identity with the company by calling your service provider of gas, electricity, water or telephone supplier.
Do not use any telephone numbers provided by the caller, as they may be bogus.
Bogus callers are often trying to cause what is known as 'distraction burglary'. This type of burglary is where a bogus caller tricks their way into your home, in order to steal valuables or money.
It is advisable not to keep large sums of money or valuable jewellery in your home, but at a bank where it is safest.
Distraction burglary advice:
- If you have an unexpected knock on the door never open it to strangers, consider installing a door chain and always keep it on
- If unsure of the visitor’s identity always ask for their ID first and telephone the company they are purporting to be from, and use the telephone numbers listed in your local directory or provided independently by your service provider
- Discuss any work you feel needs carrying out on your roperty with a relative or friend who can help you find a reputable trader
- Check whether traders are members of the Consumer odes Approval Scheme or the Government Trust Mark scheme
- Don’t agree to any work or sign anything on the spot. Do not be pressured into having any work carried out
- Never pay cash up front and never go to the bank or cash point with a trader
- If you suspect a rogue trader is at your door then call 999
If you feel the caller is suspicious, do not hesitate to contact us by calling us on 101 for non-emergencies or call 999 if you suspect a crime is happening. Take note of any vehicle registration numbers and a description of the suspected offenders.