Put 'Robin Robber' Behind Bars........
Bedfordshire Police wants to know who is committing robbery
where you live.
With the help of ‘Robin Robber’ the force is highlighting its
commitment to reducing offences of robbery while encouraging the
public to stay safe.
461 robbers have been arrested already this year, but reminding
everyone of what they can do to reduce the chances of being a
victim is still important.
Life size cut outs of ‘Robin Robber’ seen behind bars have been
put up in hotspot locations in Luton and Bedford to act as
deterrent to would-be robbers who are thinking about committing
The majority of street robberies are committed by young people
on young people – teenagers carrying the latest mobile phones and
MP3 players are most likely to be targeted. Some young offenders
may not even realise that taking someone else’s possessions is
‘robbery’ so the force is trying to educate those people too.
A robbery is when a person uses or threatens to use force to
steal. It is more serious than theft and you can be guilty of
robbery even if you are just part of a group that robbed someone.
Robbery carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment.
Threatening someone in order to take possessions from them is not
bullying, but robbery and convictions for this offence carry a
- Don’t make yourself a target. Keep your mobile telephone and
other valuables out of sight
- The chances of a lost or stole telephone being returned to you
are far greater if they are registered with www.immobilise.com Register yours
for free NOW. It only takes a couple of minutes
- Avoid remote areas. If you can’t avoid one, walk with friends
or stick to well-lit areas
- Never carry excessive cash
- Carry handbags close to your body with the clasp facing
inwards. If someone tries to grab your bag let go, rather than get
- Don’t hitch-hike or take lifts from strangers. If you need a
lift plan it in advance
- The first rule of planning a good night out is planning in
advance how to get home
- If you think someone is following you go to the nearest place
where there is a lot of people and call police
- Let parents know where you are going and when you will be
- Consider purchasing a personal attack alarm that continues to
sound if dropped
- Never be tempted to buy goods ‘off the back of a lorry’ that
could be stolen property. If offered items for sale report your
suspicions to police
- If you are being bullied, tell an adult
- The chances of you being caught with a security marked
telephone are increasing
- Did you know SmartWater is invisible, irremovable and glows
purple under ultra-violet light?
- All our custody suites are fitted with ultra violet lights that
can detect Smartwater
- Robbery is priority for Bedfordshire Police. Don’t say you
- Is a free mobile phone worth a jail sentence? Remember, you
will be caught
- If you steal to feed a drugs habit we know people who can