Bedfordshire Police - Information Charter
This Information Charter sets out the standards that you can
expect from Bedfordshire Police when we request or hold personal
information about you; how you can get access to your personal
data; and what you can do if you think standards are not being
About personal information
Personal data is information that relates to living individuals.
It does not include information relating to groups or communities
of people, organisations or businesses.
The Data Protection Act 1998 regulates the management of
personal information. We need to handle personal information about
you so that we can provide services for you. This is how we look
after that information.
When we ask you for personal information, we
- to make sure you know why we need it
- to only ask for what we need, and not to collect too much or
- to protect it and make sure nobody has access to it who
- to only share it with other organisations when the law
- to make sure we don’t keep it longer than necessary, and
- not to make your personal information available for commercial
use without your permission.
In return, we ask you to:
- give us accurate information, and
- tell us as soon as possible if there are any changes, such as a
This helps us to keep your information reliable and up to
You can get more details on:
- how to find out what information we hold about you and how to
ask us to correct any mistakes
- agreements we have with other organisations for sharing
- circumstances where we can pass on your personal information
without telling you, for example, to prevent and detect crime or to
produce anonymised statistics
- our instructions to staff on how to collect, use and delete
your personal information
- how we check the information we hold is accurate and up to
- how to make a complaint
Fair Processing Notice
This document explains how Bedfordshire Police obtains, holds,
retains, processes and discloses information about individuals
(their personal data), the steps we take to ensure that it is
protected and the rights of people have in regard to their personal
data being processed by the Force.
Fair Processing Notice
For more information, please contact:
Bedfordshire Police HQ
Telephone: 01234 842547
For more information about how the Bedfordshire Police complies
with the Data Protection Act please see: http://www.bedfordshire.police.uk/
When we ask you for information, we will keep to the law,
including the Data Protection Act 1998.
For independent advice about data protection, privacy and data
sharing issues, you can contact the Information Commissioner
Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow,
Cheshire, SK9 5AF.
Telephone: 08456 306060 or 01625 545745
Fax: 01625 524510